Vologda State Historical, Architectural and Art Museum-Reserve
15 Sergey Orlov str., Vologda, Vologda region, 160035
get into the spirit of vologda culture, see all the main historical and cultural monuments of the region, see the paintings of great russian artists and rare icons, admire the masterpieces of architecture.
The objects of the Museum display are more than 40 monuments total area of 9000 sq. m. Annually the Museum is visited by about 200 thousand people; built more than 40 exhibitions on various topics are international and Russian scientific conferences, practical seminars on various directions of Museum activity.
On the basis of expositions and exhibitions of the museum-reserve and its branches, more than 80 excursions of various subjects are held; there are 10 excursion routes — pedestrian and bus. On the official website of the museum, you can also visit virtual exhibitions or excursions.
Since the beginning of the 1910s, the collections of the future museum began to be completed, the basis of which was made up of donations from collectors and artists, purchases from exhibitions. In 1915, the museum was opened and lasted until 1920, when the circle ceased its activities, and the collected collections were transferred to the state for a new art museum opened in the Iosifovsky building of the Vologda Kremlin, and then merged into the art department of the State United Museum formed in 1923. Now on the basis of expositions and exhibitions of the museum more than 80 excursions of various subjects are held.
The long history of the museum initially determined the wide thematic range of the collection, which was formed by the efforts of many museum figures for more than 130 years. When visiting the museum you will be able to see such unique collections of valuable historical items as:
1. Collection of Old Russian paintings
2. Collection of wooden sculpture and iconic carvings
3. Fine art collection
4. Collection of fabrics
5. Collection of household wood
6. The collection of metal
7. The collection of ceramics
8. Collection of works of art made of precious metals, stones and pearls
9. Sector of written sources
10. Collection of film and photographic documents
11. Foundation for Archaeology
12. Collection of numismatics, faleristics and bonistics
13. Natural science collections
the museum has a deep history, because the base for its creation was the house of peter the great, the great russian emperor, which was open to visitors since 1885.
In 1896, a diocesan Ancient repository was established in Vologda, which contained antiquities, mainly of religious origin, and documents of the Vologda Diocese.
In 1911, the Northern Circle of Fine Arts established an art gallery in the city. At the same time, on the initiative of the Vologda Society for the Study of the Northern Territory, the Museum of Regional Studies was opened.
On March 13, 1923, by the decision of the Vologda Governor's Executive Committee, all the museums of the city were united into one museum, which became known as the "Vologda State United Museum".
And already in 1988, back in the USSR, on the basis of the Vologda Regional Museum of Local Lore, the Vologda State Historical, Architectural and Art Museum-Reserve was established by the decree of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR in the form in which we can see it today.
Currently, the Vologda Museum-Reserve consists of a complex of monuments of the Vologda Kremlin, as well as 8 branches:
1. Peter I House-Museum
2. Exhibition complex " Vologda at the turn of the XIX-XX centuries»
3. Museum " World of Forgotten things»
4. House-museum of A. F. Mozhaisky
5. Architectural and Ethnographic Museum of the Vologda region ("Semyonkovo»)
6. The Museum "Literature. Art. The twentieth century»
7. Vologda political exile
8. The Museum of lace
The House-Museum of Peter the Great is a one-story stone building with a vaulted ceiling and two Dutch ovens decorated with tiles of the XVII century — an architectural monument of the XVII century, an object of cultural heritage of Russia of federal significance. It fits into one of the types of buildings designed by D. Trezzini for the first regular city of St. Petersburg, as a "house for the vile". The house is interesting both as an independent object of display, and as a place associated with the stay of Peter I in Vologda.
The exhibition complex "Vologda at the turn of the XIX-XX centuries" is located in the merchant's estate, an object of cultural heritage, which consists of three buildings: a shop, a merchant's mansion, an apartment house. All buildings in the early twentieth century belonged to the merchant of the 2nd Guild, jeweler and watchmaker A. P. Samarin.