The State Museum-Estate «Ostafyevo» ‒ «Russian Parnassus»
The Ostafievo estate is one of Russia’s main cultural attractions. For over a hundred years (1792 - 1898) it was owned by the Princes Vyazemsky, descendants of Vladimir Monomakh.
During the time of Prince Andrei Vyazemsky, a statesman under Catherine II, the Ostafyevo park and manor house took the shape, which has been preserved to our days.
The historian Nikolai Karamzin lived and worked in the estate for twelve years. It is here that he wrote his "History of the Russian state".
At various times, well-known literary figures stayed at the estate. Among them were Ivan Dmitriev, Vasily Zhukovsky, Konstantin Batiushkov, Alexander Griboyedov, Denis Davydov, the Polish poet Adam Mickiewicz, Nikolai Gogol, Mikhail Pogodin.
Alexander Pushkin came here three times to visit his friend Pyotr Vyazemsky, a poet and literary critic. In Ostafyevo, Pushkin read the final chapters of "Eugene Onegin".
In the second half of the XIX century, the poet Pyotr Vyazemsky’s son Pavel inherited the ownership of the Ostafyevo estate. He was a diplomat, a senator and he also studied ancient Russian literature, collected objects of decorative art, prints, paintings and ancient books.
The last owner of the estate, Count Sergei Sheremetev, a historian and public figure,was able to preserve the Ostafyevo estate for generations to come, and used it to open a Pushkin Museum.